Wednesday, June 10, 2009

First post

Well, here I am in Taiwan. I always wondered what makes someone interesting enough to merit a blog. Heretofore I have never qualified but I guess spending my summer in an intensive Chinese language program in Taipei makes me interesting enough. That and the fact that I am being forced into it. (I see you, Kelly.)

I arrived last night after a pretty easy flight. In fact I was bumped up to business class during the flight from New York to Tokyo (long story) so I had a really cushy ride. They provided sound blocking headphones which are essential, as well as a ton of food. The seat reclined nearly to lying down position, and I had my choice of movies and television. I watched like seven episodes of "Friday Night Lights," which I didn't have time to watch this year, and after that I watched the incredibly classy film "Confessions of a Shopaholic" which I have concluded was totally overlooked by the Academy.

I met up with Sei at the Happy Family Hostel and because I'd barely slept throughout the plane rides, I was able to go right to bed at midnight and woke up at 8. Jet lag ain't got nothing on me.

Sei and I had a very productive first day. We checked in the ICLP program, paid our tuition, ate lunch (mm its like upgraded Ivy Noodle every day...) bought a cell phone, viewed some apartments, ate dinner, etc. etc. Now my shoulders hurt (from carrying my backpack with most of my valuables. Can't trust hostels.) and my feet hurt more.

I'm really impressed with Taipei. The subway station trumps New York, and pretty much eats the T for dinner. The signs and announcements are in Chinese and English. The stations are incredibly clean and modern. There are graduated fees so that you don't have to pay as much if you are only traveling a few stops. People form lines because the car doors always open in the same place. And there is even a spot close to the car where women can wait at night because it is under camera surveillance. We shall henceforth dub it the "Rape Free Zone." (My mom will probably suggest that I always stand there...)

In general one could probably survive here without any Mandarin. I encountered some struggles when trying to buy a cell phone and order lunch. Luckily I overcame it with my towering command of the Chinese language... and a lot of hand gestures. But being a racial minority for the first time in my life has been fun. While Sei can usually get a few sentences of Chinese out before they try their English on her, I don't even get the benefit of the doubt. Yet, I don't really feel like I turn heads like I might in a less international city.

Basically today was all business. Hopefully I can rest up for tomorrow so that I can view some apartments but also see some of the sights. My placement exam is Friday and although I continue to pretend I will study hard beforehand, we all know the more likely outcome.

Oh also, facebook has revealed to me that my Middlebury teacher from last summer is teaching at ICLP this summer. Wouldn't it be funny if I got him as a teacher? He's a pretty cool guy so hopefully we'll meet up and he can help me navigate the ins and outs of this crazy place.

3 comments:

  1. "I am being forced into it. (I see you, Kelly.)"

    Ha! (evil laugh). Well, you could do a standard end of program report for the bulletin board, but you'll be MUCH happier having kept this blog. Trust me!

    Sadly, though, if you were bumped up into business class from NY to Tokyo, you've already sort of won the study abroad lottery. It might be tough to top that. =)

    Seriously, looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had better update this thing hourly. I'll be studying for my boards and thus requiring a large amount of supplemental reading material...seriously, though, happy you are safe and make sure you stay in the rape-free zone. :) Love, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I GET IT. You're a journalist. In Taipei!

    That's why you're writing...

    ReplyDelete