Thursday, June 18, 2009

Nimen hao,

Computer update: All systems go. So I located an Apple Repair store in Taipei. Turns out my hard drive decided to die and they replaced it (for free with my Apple Care plan!) Macbooks may decide to delete everything you own on a whim, but trust their company to really reliably repair anything that has gone wrong even halfway around the world. Besides, they upgraded my os x software. At least this happened in between terms and not in the middle of a term paper. 

I've been attending some of the ICLP sponsored excursions of which there have been two. It is a helpful way to meet program mates. A few days ago we made it out to Danshui which is a nice coastal suburb with arcades and food stands. After most people headed back, a few of us sat around and watched the sun set until later in the evening. Having spent nearly every summer sailing, swimming, or making trips to the Cape, I felt a bit nostalgic sitting by the ocean. I'll probably try to head back there a few more times just to get some semblance of summer. Sei and I are also planning a beach day tomorrow.

The next day we had orientation which was pretty poorly run. The teachers just talked at us in Chinese for nearly three hours which was grueling and repetitive. Overall not much was said except attempts to convince us to attend ICLP... a little late. I'm so far unimpressed with the administrative side of this program. We sat for our placement test on June 11 and we don't receive our class schedules until tomorrow morning. That's work that Middlebury did in about six hours. We didn't get student IDs until yesterday which means i couldn't even sign up for the gym. Meanwhile we've been twiddling our thumbs. I'm getting pretty antsy. Anyway, I hear reviews that say the program makes up for organization flaws in its actual class instruction. Okay, onto more positive matters.

Today, ICLP took us to Maokong. Usually you can take a gondola up the mountain but it is in disrepair so instead we took a very fast but treacherous bus. I was standing in the aisle holding on to the handles for dear life. Miraculously none of the 30 students got bus sick. When we arrived we went to a little tea house in the side of the mountain where they grow their own teas. It was incredibly beautiful (I hate taking pictures so I'll defer to Sei's blog. Never fear, Dr. Light, I'll get my minimum two pictures up once I get settled with my computer.) You don't notice how bad the air quality is until you remove yourself from it. It was cooler in the mountains and really pleasant to walk through the tea garden or whatever you call it. Anyway we had one of those traditional tea ceremonies which is far more complicated than putting a tea bag in your mug, but very rewarding in the end. I'll definitely be taking my sister and mom up there when they arrive in July (or pointing the way while I go to class... whatever.) 

I did manage to pay for my gym membership and go for the first time this morning. Finally! Nothing kept me more sane at Middlebury last summer than taking a break from memorizing characters and getting some exercise. Its a very nice facility, and its way too hard to exercise without air conditioning. 

Other than my daily excursions I've just been relaxing. The food as always never keeps me bored and never costs me much. I finished River Town by Peter Hessler and I highly recommend it. Now I'm on to a John Irving book, which is a must every summer for me. When class starts I will no doubt have a lot less time for pleasure reading so I guess I should thank ICLP for their forcing me to get here excessively early. 

Until next time,

Lan Ruikang

3 comments:

  1. That's really great about the computer. I was also thinking of upgrading my v1 iPhone to the 3GS, but this darn v1 is still going strong!

    Arriving early like that has a lot of advantages. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric!! Its Becca :) Im so glad I can keep up with you on this blog. Your life is so adventurous compared to my Hingham life but thats not the point of this comment. What i want to say is stay in the gym so you dont get fat.

    <3

    ReplyDelete